Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Jump Into the Melting Pot: Experience Cultural Diversity

Pati Poblete’s editorial really put into perspective just how much we can glean from the cultural experiences of each other. I don’t know if Pati is Asian, African American, Hispanic, White or another race. I just know that I was able to relate to her experience in diversity, although my own experience was somewhat different. For a few moments she let me into her world.

I truly believe that most people in this country desire positive race relations. But it seems that the subject is so sensitive that it is rare that we have honest, heartfelt dialogue without opening up old wounds or aggravating fresh ones. In the workplace we watch what we say. Even when we casually chat with friends who are outside of our culture we tend to have careful conversations. But the more we converse, the more we interact, the more we read, the more we study, the more comfortable we become--perhaps never fully grasping, but getting closer. And the closer we get to understanding, the closer we come to positive race relations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home